Auckland Council Graduate Programme 2021 - Waste SolutionsApply Now
8th Mar 2020 11:00pm
27th Mar 2020 10:55am
Location: Auckland Wide, NZ, 1010
Company: Auckland Council
- Play your part in achieving zero waste in Tāmaki Makaurau by 2040
- Shape your future and make a difference to the lives of Aucklanders through Auckland Council’s Graduate Programme
- Develop your career in a safe and supportive learning environment
Ko te oranga o Ranginui rāua ko Papatūānuku tonu
kei roto i ngā ringaringa o tēnā me tēnā
The survival of Father Sky and Mother Earth
rests in the hands of each and every one of us
He angitutanga mutunga kore mō te paetahi pēnā i a koe: Endless possibilities for a graduate like you at Auckland Council
He angitūtanga: The opportunity
“Auckland will aim for the long term, aspirational goal of Zero Waste by 2040, turning its waste into resources.” – Auckland Waste Management and Minimisation Plan
Waste Solutions' aspirational goal is to achieve zero waste by 2040, turning Auckland’s waste into resources. We strive to be at the forefront of waste management practice across Australasia and we are constantly looking for innovative ways to improve services and reduce waste going to landfill.
Our programme is designed for enthusiastic, talented individuals to learn and grow within our Waste Solutions department. Over the two-year programme, you’ll have the opportunity to rotate through key teams within the Waste Solutions function which may include Resource Recovery and Infrastructure, Planning, Customer Enhancement, Contracts and Compliance and Community WasteWise.
This graduate programme is a unique opportunity to gain exposure and experience in the dynamic field of Waste Solutions within a team focused on creating a world-class city. You’ll contribute towards minimising waste generation and reduce harm to our whenua and natural taonga. Some of the exciting projects you may get the chance to work on include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the provision of a food scraps collection service across the Auckland region
- Contribute to the implementation of the Waste Management and Minimisation Plan
- Develop strategies and policies to aid in reaching our zero waste by 2040 goal and keep us in line with evolving national legislation
- Deliver education programmes and environmental initiatives with schools, businesses, community groups and events
- Enforce relevant council bylaws by issuing infringement notices or taking other compliance action
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What we offer
Our Graduate Programme aims to provide you with the opportunities and support you need to launch your career and develop as a future leader or specialist within Auckland Council. With over 80 areas of business and the chance to work on large-scale projects, we want to see you achieve your goals while making a real difference to the lives of Aucklanders.
As part of the graduate programme, you’ll also be supported in securing a permanent role within Auckland Council at the end of your programme.
You’ll be supported every step of the way with a support team who want you to succeed including a mentor, graduate liaison, and graduate network. The graduate programme is typically made up of rotations across a number of business areas, giving you accelerated learning and development, all whilst helping to make Auckland a world-class city.
He kōrero mōu: About you
You will have a strong drive to give back to your community and a passion for waste solutions. With strong collaboration skills, you will easily engage with a diverse range of customers and stakeholders and confidently convey verbal and written information. You will be a team player, able to work collaboratively and on your own, as required.
We welcome applications from candidates from the following focus areas:
- Marketing and communications
- Environmental Science
- Other related disciplines
To apply you must:
- Be eligible to work in New Zealand, or eligible to apply for a Post-Study Work Visa
- Hold a relevant Bachelor degree or postgraduate qualification obtained in the last two years no later than January 2018, or be a current student and graduating before the start of the 2021 programme.
- If successfully shortlisted, be able to attend an assessment centre on 22nd May 2020.
- Hold an NZ Restricted Driver's Licence
To find out more about our programme, please visit endlesspossibilities.co.nz.
Applications for Auckland Council’s Graduate Programme close at 11:59pm on 27th March 2020.
If you are meet our eligibility criteria, you will receive an email with a link to complete an online gamified assessment which helps you show us how awesome you are.
If you are passionate about Auckland and supporting our goal of zero waste by 2040, apply now!
This role is deemed safety-sensitive and in line with Auckland Council policy, you will be required to complete pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
Auckland Council is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and we are committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.