The Bell Gully Summer Clerk Programme is the best way to start your legal career
The Bell Gully Summer Clerk Programme is run from mid-November through to mid-February every year.
The programme provides summer clerks with:
- A full induction programme,
- the opportunity to work in three of Bell Gully's legal departments, matched with one of our partners or senior associates in each, with real work for real clients,
- support from your teams, HR and a buddy throughout the programme, as well as regular formal feedback to help you get the most of your summer,
- work with our pro bono clients through the programme's Community Days,
- access to Bell Gully's learning resources and inclusion in the Bell Gully Leadership programme, and
- the opportunity to work with amazing people and forge friendships that will last through your career.
Almost all of our partners and lawyers summer clerked with the firm. When you choose Bell Gully, our part of the bargain is to support you all the way.
We give you an insight into the wide range of work the firm is involved in. That's why we give you the opportunity to work in different departments. In each department, we match you with one of our partners or senior associates. You'll work with them, their teams and their clients to get first-hand experience of what it takes to succeed in a legal career. Our summer clerks research client cases, draft letters and analyse the impact of legislation on our clients' businesses. You may prepare for and attend court hearings, mediations and client meetings, seeing for yourself how issues are resolved. You could be part of a deal team, work with clients and external advisers and have genuine deadlines with pressure to match.
Summer clerking is also a great chance to meet and work with other law students who excel. You'll get the chance to participate in departmental and team events and be able to join in a wide range of sporting activities.
We've all been there before – your responsible partner, your peers, and your buddy are here to help, support and guide you. When you start with Bell Gully you will be assigned a junior lawyer as a buddy, who will help you make the most of your time with us – from the moment you receive your offer, right through the summer, and beyond. A member of our HR team is dedicated to the summer clerk programme, they'll help you settle in and answer any questions you may have over the summer.
At Bell Gully you are supported by the latest IT systems. Our document management system is integrated with our core software and we regularly upgrade our systems to capture the latest developments.
You will have a legal secretary assigned to you to assist with dictation, typing, filing and client communication. You will also be able to draw upon our extensive legal precedents, and our Information Services department will provide you with all the legal research tools you need, providing assistance to you throughout the summer.