DLA Piper Law Clerk Opportunities 19/20DLA Piper New Zealand
Auckland / Wellington
1 week ago
14th March 2019 9:00am
31st March 2019 11:55pm
WE ARE LOOKING FOR
As New Zealand's first, and only, global business law firm, we provide a full range of legal services.
We advise international clients doing business in New Zealand and New Zealand organisations doing business elsewhere, offering seamless service in all major regions and key markets. In every major sector and specialist practice, we provide innovative, commercially astute advice which is benchmarked against international best practice.
As a local firm, we support clients in government entities, public organisations and businesses which are focused on New Zealand, providing in-depth local knowledge, networks and best advice for the New Zealand context.
We have law clerk positions available in our Auckland and Wellington offices.
Law Clerk positions are available for students in their final year of study. As a law clerk you can choose to either join us at the end of your final year in November 2019, or you may wish to take some time off over summer and start at the beginning of 2020.
Why DLA Piper?
Our global connection is what sets us apart from any other law firm in New Zealand. For our lawyers picking up the phone to colleagues all around the world is a reality, exposing you to a world of expertise and opportunities.
At DLA Piper New Zealand, we have a down to earth manner and a practical, commercial outlook. Because of our size and the work we do, you will be in the engine room of legal advice from the start of your employment. Your experience will be real, the work fast paced and challenging. You will be asked to meet with clients, prepare cases for trial, appear in court and get involved in commercial transactions - all with our support. What a great start to your career journey!
As a firm we are committed to diversity and inclusion. With offices worldwide, our efforts to understand, value and incorporate differences are woven into our culture. We are defined by our people and are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining the highest calibre of professionals. We believe that fostering diversity and inclusion allows us to acquire the most talented people, to build the most effective teams for our clients, and deliver the highest level of service.
We are also committed to our community. One way we demonstrate this commitment is through pro bono work. Our pro bono efforts focus on three areas: the rights of children, access to justice and the rule of law, and assisting asylum seekers, refugees, and stateless people. Our work is both global and local. We are committed to helping to build a pro bono culture in the legal profession around the world.
In 2017, our global network devoted over 225,000 hours to pro bono initiatives. This alone make us one of the world’s largest providers of pro bono legal services. You can learn more about DLA Piper here: https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/aboutus/
Who we're looking for:
We are seeking students with great university grades and a commercial outlook, you'll also excel as part of a team, and have a sense of fun and adventure. We also actively look for experience outside of academic life.
How to apply:
Applications open: Thursday, 14 March
Applications close: 12.00 midnight on Sunday 31 March 2019
In your application you will be asked to provide:
- Covering letter detailing why you would like to work for us.
- Current CV, detailing your work experience, community involvement and outside interests.
- Academic transcript.
- A brief quick video interview allowing us to learn a little more about you and answers to some video questions.
- Indicate a preference for either our Auckland or Wellington office or let us know that you're open to either location.
On a normal day you'll get to...
- Work under the supervision of Associates, Senior Associates and Partners and assist on matters pertinent to ongoing litigation on behalf of clients
- Draft legal documents
- Perform legal research and writing
- Write opinions and executive memos
- Appear with senior legal counsel at hearings in the District, Environment, High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (depending on work stream)
- Create and maintain a dialogue with clients
- Carry out other various legal and nonlegal tasks between different teams as work loads require
- Handle communications for and on behalf of solicitors with clients, witnesses, opposing counsel (as required)
- Provide administrative support for trial and case preparation (including attendances where necessary)
We are looking for someone who/with...
- Great university grades and a commercial outlook, you'll also excel as part of a team, and have a sense of fun and adventure. We also actively look for experience outside of academic life.
- Is in their final year of studying an LLB / Law degree.
You will want to work with us because...
- Our global connection is what sets us apart from any other law firm in New Zealand. For our lawyers picking up the phone to colleagues all around
- The world is a reality, exposing you to a world of expertise and opportunities.