GCSB Tertiary Scholarship for women studying science*, technology, engineering and mathematics
The value of this award is $10,000, which can be spread over three years depending on your study plans. Note, no more than $5,000 will be allocated in any one year.
Open to female second-year tertiary students and above (including Honours and Masters students) intending to take a full-time course of study in science, technology, computer engineering, mathematics, data science and cybersecurity at any New Zealand tertiary institution.
To be eligible for the GCSB Tertiary Scholarship, applicants must be:
- Female students over the age of 18 years.
- Have been a New Zealand citizen for at least 10 years or hold New Zealand Permanent Residence or hold a current New Zealand Residency Class Visa and have been a citizen of United Kingdom, Canada, United States of America or Australia for at least 10 years.
- Have enrolled, or been accepted to enroll, in a full-time degree majoring in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) at an approved NZQA accredited tertiary provider in New Zealand for the next academic year.
- Be eligible to obtain and keep a national security clearance.
Number of scholarships
Up to three scholarships may be awarded of which one will be dedicated to a Maori/Pacifica candidate.
How will applications be assessed?
- Academic achievement and excellence
- Honors and awards
- Life and work experience
- Proven leadership qualities and/or experience
- Career aspirations
- Voluntary work (including coaching and mentoring)
The successful candidate will be selected by a panel consisting of the Director-General of the GCSB, a representative from People and Capability, representatives from the relevant areas of GCSB and an academic who specializes in STEM subjects.
Applications open on 1 June and close on 1 October.
The successful scholarship winner will be notified by 31 October.
How to apply
To download a full application form go to https://www.gcsb.govt.nz/working-for-us/gcsb-women-in-stem-scholarship/
Complete the application form and submit this with a copy of your academic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all general inquiries email email@example.com or phone the GCSB Learning and Development, People and Capability Team on 04 472 6881.
Note: when we refer to the ‘Sciences’ we are most interested in the ‘Computer Science’ and ‘Information Science’ fields (anything IT related) as these disciplines closely align with the work we do.