Policy Graduate Programme
Applications open from 10 June - 3 July 2019.
A career in policy is your opportunity to help create a better New Zealand for all.
MBIE plays a big role in shaping and influencing New Zealand peoples’ standard of living and quality of life through policy. Policy professionals provide evidence and information that Ministers need to make informed decisions on public policy issues.
It’s exciting and challenging work that could see you looking at how we can make NZ businesses more internationally competitive, making sure all regions benefit from tourism and protecting people from loan sharks. You can help tackle interesting problems like housing supply and affordability, planning the country’s response to humanitarian crises and many more.
Kick start your career with us
Our program is a robust, structured and supportive 16-month development training program that will include:
- a supportive induction program to help get you quickly up-and-running
- on-the-job learning opportunities designed to expose you to a wide range of policy issues
- an intensive development program designed to develop your policy craft
- ongoing support, feedback, and direction to help you progress your policy career
- a great cohort of graduates to support and grow alongside you.
Plus, the role’s based in Wellington, the coolest little capital in the world! You’ll never be short of things to do in this vibrant city. It’s easy to get around, filled with sporting and cultural events, and what’s more - it’s New Zealand’s political, scientific and cultural heart.
Desirable skills, but not essential;
- skilled writers who write clearly, accurately, and logically
- critical thinkers who use well-reasoned logic to solve problems
- evidence gatherers who research, identify, and make use of relevant information
- nimble learners who are flexible and responsive to change
- supportive team players who build partnerships and work collaboratively.
- persuaders and influencers who gain the trust and support of others
- purpose driven actioners who take on new opportunities and tough challenges
- decision makers who make sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information.
- you can have no more than one-year post-graduation full-time work experience.
- you must have graduated or will finish your study before February 2020.
- you must have achieved at least a B average (refer to the Victoria University website to calculate your GPA.)
- you must be available on 24 – 25 July (12 pm – 12 pm) to complete and submit the online Written Assessment, subject to the selection
- you must be available to attend the Assessment Centre in Wellington on 27 and 28 August, subject to selection. We will assist with reasonable travel costs for individuals within New Zealand
- you must have the ability to legally live and work in New Zealand
- you must pass all MBIE employment vetting and approval standards.
- online application form
- situational judgment test
- competency-based video interview
- written assessment
- assessment center (in Wellington) including:
- Aptitude tests (Abstract, Verbal, Numerical)
- Personality questionnaire
- Competency-based interview
- Group exercise
- Reference checks
Jobs at Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
Information Technology, Information Systems, Science