Analyst - WellingtonApply Now
21st Nov 2019 12:00am
4th Dec 2019 12:00am
At the Ministry of Education, our people shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Evidence, Data and Knowledge's (EDK) purpose is to inform educational policy and practice with evidence. We provide high quality in-depth data and information to our customers whilst proactively providing insights and building capability and knowledge in the use of evidence.
The Forecasting & Modelling team is responsible for analysis that supports the Ministry's Early Learning and Schooling policy and operational functions. The team works across the organisation to promote the effective use of evidence, including:
- Delivering high quality forecasts of future public expenditure for large components of the $12.6 billion that the government invests annually in the schooling and early childhood education system, and other aspects of education system activity, such as student rolls and the demand for, and supply of, teachers;
- Working with colleagues across the Ministry of Education and beyond on cutting-edge policy development, utilising our expertise in policy costing and impact analysis;
- Undertaking operational rate-setting and eligibility calculations, to ensure that schools and early childhood education services are appropriately funded; and
- Framing research questions, undertaking data analysis to answer these questions, and communicating new insights through published reports and presentations to stakeholders.
We are looking for several Analysts or Senior Analysts to join our established team, which is currently undergoing a period of expansion. This is an exciting time of vision and change for the Ministry of Education and the wider education system. You will have the opportunity to use your skills, knowledge and ideas to help shape and deliver the next phase of our Forecasting and Modelling work programme.
To be successful in this role you will be a highly motivated self-starter who relishes a challenge and the opportunity to make an impact. You will have the opportunity to use your analytical instincts and affinity for data analysis techniques across a broad and ever-changing work programme, requiring you to develop deep knowledge of subject areas and then apply this knowledge flexibly as the operating environment and strategic priorities evolve. This role would be a great fit for an optimistic and enthusiastic team player, who enjoys innovating and problem-solving to develop fit-for-purpose modelling solutions.
- A desire to be close to the action, welcoming the responsibility that comes with providing analysis that informs decisions critical to the future of the education system.
- A demonstrated ability to think conceptually and translate new and emerging ideas into evidence-based quantitative analysis of financial and non-financial impacts.
- An eye for detail, taking pride in the accuracy of your work and offering robust and constructive peer review to colleagues.
- Proven technical skills, such as advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and experience with analysis, database, or query products such as SAS, SQL or R.
- The ability to communicate complex concepts and evidence to a variety of audiences, both in writing and verbally.
- An affinity for working collaboratively with internal customers and other stakeholders to determine needs, obtain information, develop approaches and communicate results.
- Confidence and comfort working efficiently and reliably under time pressure, to meet the needs of Ministers, senior management and other stakeholders.
- For Analyst positions, a tertiary qualification in an area that involves data manipulation and analysis, such as economics, finance, mathematics, or science; or professional experience in a relevant field.
- For Senior Analyst positions, a tertiary qualification, and several years' professional experience in a relevant field.
- Experience in a discipline relevant to the work of the Forecasting and Modelling team, such as policy modelling, rate-setting, forecasting or manipulation of large and complex datasets is not a pre-requisite, but would be an advantage.
You will be able to:
- Develop strong working relationships with members of the team, the broader EDK group, and the policy, operational and finance arms of the Ministry. Leverage off these relationships and employ a collaborative working style to inform and encourage evidence-based decision-making.
- Formulate research questions and interrogate data and other sources of evidence to develop robust conclusions.
- Contribute to the design of analytical frameworks and practical methodologies to estimate the financial and non-financial impacts of policy initiatives.
- Extract, combine and manipulate data from multiple sources to accurately implement policy, calculating funding rates and other information that enables the Ministry to resource schools and early childhood education services.
- Drive the continuous improvement of expenditure forecasting through developing a deep understanding of the drivers underpinning expenditure, maintaining an awareness of policy development and trends in the external environment, and experimenting with new technical possibilities.
- Translate complex models and insights into accessible messages for customers and senior leaders to ensure appropriate interpretation, achieve buy-in, and influence decision-makers.
Please note: This information is not to be re-distributed without permission from Ministry of Education and NxtStep (AttractHQ Ltd)