The city of Auckland and the port of Auckland have grown together on the Waitematā Harbour for more than 175 years. Ports of Auckland is part of the special character of our city and plays a vital role in our economy, delivering the things we need and enjoy.
Nearly three-quarters of the port’s inbound cargo is for Auckland. Our location on Auckland’s doorstep means the delivery of goods is quick, the cost of goods is low, and our carbon footprint is small. We also have a network of freight hubs throughout the North Island.
Our port connects Kiwis to the world. That banana with your breakfast and the coffee beans in your morning espresso – they came through the port. Our port also makes sure New Zealand exporters are sustainably linked to global markets, supporting local business to share their products with the world.
We’ve been voted the Best Seaport in Oceania for three years running at the Asian Freight, Logistics and Supply Chain Awards by the industry – an achievement that is testament to the hard-working people that keep our port running 24/7 and delivering for our customers and Aucklanders.
Did you know?
We employ more than 500 permanent staff and help facilitate another 187,000 jobs through port activities. Our people are hands-down our biggest asset and we take pride in a safe, positive work culture that celebrates diversity and promotes development.
Day-in and day-out, in good weather and bad, our people work 24/7, 365 days a year to keep our port running. More than 75% of our staff work shift hours to make this happen. Check out what some of our people get up to day-to-day in our job-series videos.
Working for POAL is an opportunity to be part of:
- An innovative and creative business: we ask all of our people to think innovatively
- A committed workforce: we’re a hard-working team and pride ourselves on tackling challenges head-on with enthusiasm and grit
- Helping to create a more sustainable future for Auckland and New Zealand: our goal is to be New Zealand’s most sustainable port; how can you help us get there?
- Discovering new things: we look for people to join our team who value new ideas and can take information and turn it on its head
- A team: join a close-knit, values driven team that doesn’t just talk the talk, but also walks the walk