At Teach First NZ: Ako Mātātupu we support great people to become highly effective teachers and inspirational leaders who make a difference.
Find out if you’re ready to learn to lead.
About Teach First NZ: Ako Mātātupu
We believe it is possible for all of our rangatahi (young people) in New Zealand to reach their full potential. If we achieve this, we will be a happier, healthier and richer country.
But we have a problem.
Currently, New Zealand has one of the highest levels of educational inequality in the developed world and this results in thousands of students falling through the cracks of our education system.
One of the ways that we aim to address educational inequality is through our two-year teaching and education leadership programme that supports great people to become highly effective teachers and inspirational leaders.
The Teach First NZ Programme
The Teach First NZ Programme provides carefully selected participants with the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a school community, inspiring future generations of New Zealanders to fulfil their potential.
Teach First NZ's teaching and education leadership programme has been identified as offering one of the top Graduate Development experiences in New Zealand. Delivered in partnership with The Mind Lab by Unitec and with support from leading New Zealand organisations, we support participants to develop their abilities as communicators and influencers in a way that no other programme can.
Upon graduating from the Teach First NZ Programme you will be awarded with a Masters in Teaching and Education Leadership from The Mind Lab by Unitec.
Acceptance into the Teach First NZ Programme means that you can:
- Make a real difference in the community and in the lives of our rangatahi
- Develop your leadership skills and potential
- Become a qualified teacher as a Master of Teaching and Education Leadership
- Build lifelong friendships with fellow participants
- Be a part of a national movement towards change
- Access a network of participants, alumni, education leaders and businesses
- Be paid as you learn
- Receive a competitive salary, as well as 10 weeks of annual holiday, and
- Receive a fully funded Masters in Teaching and Education Leadership