2023 Graduate Operations Planning Engineers
- Kick start your professional career with Aotearoa NZ's Grid and System Operator
- Work at the heart of the sector, discover how New Zealand's Power System operates
- Learn and collaborate with technical experts, develop your analytical skills on the job
Learn how New Zealand's power system operates and be a part of New Zealand's energy future
Transpower owns and operates New Zealand's National Grid - the unique High Voltage transmission network connecting areas of generation with towns and cities across New Zealand.
With a whole-of-industry view of the electricity sector, we are at the forefront of the country's pending electricity transformation. Our team is working hard to enable accelerated electrification, and a sustainable net carbon zero future.
As a Transpower Operations Planning Graduate, commencing our programme in February 2023, you'll gain a range of skills including risk assessment, analytics and critical thinking, and have the opportunity to put the theory and first principles you have learnt into practice to play a part in shaping the future of New Zealand's electricity industry.
Based at our Wellington head office, you'll complete a two-year rotational programme building relationship across the business. We'll provide you with regular coaching and mentoring from a variety of experts to give you an overview of Power System careers at Transpower, with a focus on operational planning. You'll experience real work from day one and may be part of:
- Ensuring a secure and reliable grid by assessing daily risks and longer-term issues
- Conducting assessment and coordination of outages to enable secure and efficient access to the power system
- Reviewing plans to enable commissioning of new power system assets, and assessing the impact of assets or network changes to our models
- Liaising with Transmission Analysts or planners in generation or other power system companies
- Providing plans, advice and data for the real-time control room teams on operational engineering to maintain system security
As we work across different time frames (from real-time to looking at major projects and changes on the Grid over the longer term) you'll be involved in a variety of work during the programme. You'll gain deep technical knowledge of how we operate the Grid, how we assess outages, and how we manage the changes and risks that Grid activities have on the electricity market.
You'll also spend time with closely related teams i.e. our Electricity Market team or control rooms. This will help your technical understanding, knowledge of key transmission business drivers, and support you to build a good understanding of both internal and external customers. Ultimately, you'll explore where and how you wish to shape your Engineering career with us!
What will you bring
By December 2022 you will hold a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Electrical engineering or other relevant discipline e.g. Mechatronics/Computer Systems Engineering or you may be completing your master's or further study in a relevant field.
You'll have achieved/are achieving a B+ average or GPA of 5.5 or above in your studies and demonstrate diligence, attention to detail, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and active listening.
Your analytical and problem-solving skills will support your love of detail-orientated work/study. An organised, unflappable person, you'll be able to work comfortably under pressure, close to real-time operations, and see challenges as opportunities.
While not essential, please tell us if you have:
- Basic knowledge/experience of the New Zealand electricity supply industry
- Skills in scripting/programming/coding
- Proficiency in the use of relevant load flow analysis computer applications
People who join us like exciting technical challenges, want to collaborate widely, and be part of making an enduring difference. Our people tell us they enjoy our flexible, friendly work environment and the focus on health and wellness. Check out our benefits here: www.transpower.co.nz/about-us/careers/benefits
As an Engineering New Zealand Professional Development Partner, we will support and encourage you in moving from Emerging Professional to full Member status. Proudly, 30% of our roles are filled via lateral or internal promotion.
To join our team and jump start your Engineering career, please review the position description below and apply without delay!
Role closes 25 May 2022, however applications will be reviewed as they are received, and you may be asked to complete a video interview so we can get to know you better.
Reasonable accommodation is available to enable exploratory conversations and/or interview scheduling to suit your individual circumstances. You must be studying/have studied at a New Zealand University and hold full eligibility to work. Apply Now!